Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sex in hostels: as in, please do not have it

Abe and I have been in New Zealand for about 2 months now, but we've only stayed in 3 backpacker hostels so far, since we were working in Franz Josef for the bulk of this time. In 2 out of the 3 hostels, we have been, what in college we would have called "sexiled." People had sex in our rooms. But in college, no one has sex with someone while their roommate is in the room, they make them wait outside until the sex is over. In the backpacker world, however, I am discovering that it is quite common for an intoxicated backpacker to bring back their chosen sexual partner for the evening and have sex with them in a multi-bed dorm room. Even if this room is full of 6-16 other people, and even if these people are awake.

The first time I witnessed hostel sex, I was horrified. It was loud and seemed to last for an eternity—what began as whispering and kissing slowly progressed to giggling and heavy breathing, and I kept thinking, “This is not going to happen. This girl will never say yes to having sex in a multi bed dorm room in a hostel. She is going to say no.” And then the creaking noises began. So, apparently she said yes.

I couldn’t find my headphones that night, and I was so paralyzed with shock that it was even happening that I listened to the entire thing, including the girl letting herself out at the end. Needless to say, I was traumatized for a few days, and just a bit angry.

My second time as a witness, I was prepared. I had already fallen asleep on a top bunk of an 8-bed dorm room when I woke up to someone accidentally turning on a light and laughing about it. Another voice, a girl, laughed and slurred, “Are there other people in here?!” Crap, this is going to happen again.

I had my headphones on and Radiohead’s new CD blasting just as the first bout of heavy breathing began. Fortunately, I had been meaning to give this new album a close listen since I bought it a few days before just hadn’t found the time. Now the time had found me. After my first listen I tepidly removed one earphone to see if all was quiet yet. I heard moaning. And I decided this album was really deserved of a second close listen at full volume.

Somewhere during that listen, the sex concluded and the girl went home. I looked down at the backpacker guy sprawled out on a bed below me like a caveman: mouth wide open, dirty-looked hair matted, legs and arms hanging off the bed, and wondered, “Who ARE these girls?!”

I know I could be wondering who are these guys too, but it just doesn’t seem as hard to fathom. I have seen far too many male backpackers around who look like they haven’t showered in weeks (even though all of the hostels I’ve stayed in have great showers) and are on their 15th country on their world tour or something. I can just hear them in my mind telling stories to their friends when they get home about sleeping with girls in every country in the hostels. And if any of their friends bring up the fact that other people sleep in those hostel beds and probably listened or saw these sex acts, they would laugh and say, “Hey, I hope they enjoyed the show.”

No. We are not enjoying the show. But maybe I’m not being fair because after all, guys are people too. So, I’ll just say this:

If you are having sex in a multi bed hostel, yes, all of the other people in the hostel are awake, and yes, they hate you. Please stop. If you are thinking about having sex in a multi bed hostel, don’t. Man up and pay for the single room, it’s only a bit extra, and many, many people who got to go through life without witnessing sex in a hostel will thank you in the long run. And I will thank you right now because I still have a few months of staying in these hostels to go.

6 comments:

  1. Reading this reminds me of my first encounter of dorm sex which left me equally shocked and appalled. I’d been in Australia less than a week when it happened to me! It happened at Sydney Central YHA in an 8 person ‘female only dorm’. In the small hours I woke to hear giggling coming from the bunk below, quite obviously a guy and girl. After heavy kissing the girl says “not without a condom”. I felt terrible knowing what was about to happen. A few moments later my bed was rocking, I was stunned and disgusted. The room was full and we could hear every gross detail even up to the end when the German girl goes “its ok, come inside, I eat pill”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah oh man, that sounds like my experiences exactly. The first time I sat through the hostel sex, the girl definitely said at the end, "Did you come? Did you? Did you come?" And at least one person in the room groaned out loud. Yes, we had all just witnessed what we thought we had. Unfortunately, it was not a bad dream. Who are these people??

    ReplyDelete
  3. my roommate Thomas had sex in our dorm room...while I was asleep...IN the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh Tracey its awful enough, last thing we need is to hear their debrief!
    My experience in a mixed 12 bed dorm in Perth is bad enough, a couple came in late when the room was full and started having sex! A girl on the bunk above asked them to stop, they didn’t so she left. Two mins later the light flicked on, the night porter dashed in and asked them to stop having sex, they carried on shagging so the fearless porter grabbed the guy and pulled him out into the middle of the room where he stood very embarrassed with nothing but a condom on and everyone looking over at him! He was changed and outa there in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god! I think I may need to try that next time, though it seems like it could've been a bit awkward between that girl and the exposed guy the next morning when they were still in the same dorm room.... Then again, it's awkward enough when you've witnessed their entire sexual encounter haha. And Alex, I cannot believe Thomas did that. You guys are friends!!! Or at least you were.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this reminds me of a boring girl being far away from normal hot sexual experiences. All girls I had or met up to now liked having sex in a dorm and did not mind being watched and heard by other girls and guys. I the situations I had where other guys and girls were watching having someone or me sex, or a girl or guy mastrubating, I heard very few bad comments by any guy or girl. And the few girls or guys who complained where usually the really boring and jealous ones just wishing to have this great sexual expierence themselfs. So let it happen!!
    P.S. Amy, that is shockingly bad if somebody encourages in embarassing or kicking out someone due to having sex. In which world do you live. No sex before marrying, or what?? And people like you travel around the world, shocking, fortunately most people traveling around the world are open-minded compared to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers