Friday, May 13, 2011

Love in the Garden

When I first arrived in New Zealand, I spent one week in Wellington, searching for work and sightseeing. I was exhilarated as I walked through this beautiful city that was entirely new to me, but I had an underlying feeling of stress. It was my first time applying to work in a foreign country, and I had a lot of questions. Was I searching for jobs in the right places? The NZ Craigslist has only a few postings in the past few months, so I was relying on foreign jobs sites I found on a Google search for “seasonal jobs.” And why would a Kiwi employer want to hire an American traveller who had no experience working in New Zealand and who was sure to leave them after a few months?

After I had applied to a few jobs, I received a message back from an employer. He said he was not hiring because “New Zealand is experiencing high unemployment.” Anxiety overwhelmed me. I was spending money every day, and if I could not find work within a month, I would have to return home.

One day after applying to jobs all morning, Abe and I decided to visit the Botanic Gardens. The gardens are on the edge of the city, on a hill top next to the University of Victoria. As we climbed up the hill, our view of Wellington grew more and more beautiful. We stopped to take pictures along the way.

At the top, there was a viewpoint, a war monument, and a lovely forest path from out of a fairy tale. A few people were sitting on benches and others were spread out on the grass enjoying the view. I looked down; it did not seem real. The tranquillity of the buildings and the ocean waves, and the sun and light breeze on my face were otherworldly. All of the people around me seemed content, and the tension I was carrying around, melted away. I was relaxed in my awe of New Zealand and in my connection to these strangers who were appreciating the same beautiful day in the Wellington gardens. The peace I had come to New Zealand to find felt warm around me, so far away from the stress and fast-paced life of a professional in Washington, DC. I saw possibility looking down over that city.

Inspiration flowed through me, and I began taking pictures with confidence. Abe must have felt the same because he sat down and starting sketching in a notebook. That was the day this blog was born, as I overcame my feelings of anxiety and days later found a job. And though I still have moments of stress and fear, I can call on my desire to explore this country to help me overcome them.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers