Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Distance Makes the Patriotism Grow Stronger

When I left the United States, I thought six months was a long time. Now that I am in New Zealand, it is not nearly enough.

I have been here now for five months, and I have worked three jobs on two islands, hiked dozens of tracks and seen lakes, oceans, and mountains that would overwhelm the most unemotional of people. But I need to stay longer.

Yes, there are places I have not seen yet in this country, but the reason I want to stay is more about myself. People often talk about how much they learn when they travel to a foreign country, and when you live in one learning is unavoidable. When I was in college, I studied for six months in South Africa and felt like I had left a separate lifetime by the time I went home to the United States.

But in coming to New Zealand, I have had more freedom. I came here unemployed, with a tiny amount of savings, with no friends and my only knowledge of the country was what I got from a small guidebook. For me, arriving here was terrifying. I needed to find everything from scratch: a place to live, transportation, food, job, friends, entertainment.

Over the past few months, with every new thing I built, my confidence grew. I got a job. I moved into a room. I made casual friends. I made more long-lasting friendships too. After two months of working and saving money, I cut my newly-constructed safety net again. I quit my job and drove to a new city, and another, and another, soaking in the differentness of each place I visited. And with each bout of travelling and each new home I made, I made different mistakes and learned how to avoid them in the future.

When I first came to New Zealand, I was afraid to talk to people from different countries, worrying about what we could have in common. In my first job, when I met my Kiwi co-workers, I felt a little insecure. My co-worker, Luke, smoked cigarettes and talked about the Bob Dylan concert he was going to in a few weeks. Bree and Sonya wore chic leather jackets and dark sunglasses. I thought to myself how they all seemed so cool and confident.

Listening to their foreign accents and interests, I wished I was a Kiwi. I spent a few weeks listening to everything they said, and when I did speak it was to compliment their accents or their clothes or what they thought. And then one day it hit me: Bob Dylan is American. Many of the things my co-workers liked were from America, and I felt proud. Proud that my country produced things that reach all the way around to the edge of the world. Proud to be American myself.

One of my friends from high school, Ryan, told me once that I should stop thinking so much and just treat people as people. The same as me. I did not hear him clearly at the time, but in New Zealand I was forced to makes friends and meet new people every day. After talking to people from at least 30 different countries all traveling or living in New Zealand, I understand the truth in what Ryan said. There are generalizations about people from every country, and there are always dozens of people that will tell you what they think about a race of people whether you ask or not.

But after meeting people from all over the world and talking to them individually, all I see is their humanness. Every person I meet seems very different at first until I talk to them a few times, and I realize how many similarities they have to me. Their longing for adventure and new things or their hope for a future with a well-paying job they enjoy, a partner, a family, and possibly even more traveling.

And after five months in New Zealand, I can finally say I understand that and am confident that I could make friends in any country. Even if I only knew parts of their language. And having that knowledge and that ease of mind, makes further travel more exciting.

I still miss my home in the United States. I miss it very much. And the longer I am away, the more I love the United States for things as little as having at least 60 different choices of breakfast cereal and cheap t-shirts and for bigger things like the dozens of large, prosperous cities that offer opportunities. But if I had not left America to work in another country, I would not love the U.S. to the degree to which I love it now. When I meet new people and they ask me what the U.S. is like, I tell them they need to go.

12 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post! Followed a link here from Janet Reid's blog, and so glad I did. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very brave and incredible thing to do!

    And...did you see where they filmed LOTR? Sorry, I had to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I moved out of the country and lived as a foreigner for two years and I can relate to many of the experiences you share here. It was such an incredible growing experience for me--one that I'll never regret and always look back on with fondness--that I would love for my children to experience the same thing. When they are of age, I will encourage them to spend some time among those of a different culture. It has given me a more gentle perspective on everything in my life. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a while, I've been thinking about going ex-pat; it's nice to see that you're finding it a worthwhile experience. I hope your eventual homecomming will be as rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi :) I also followed a link from Janet's. I'm a Kiwi, but I've lived in since '88. NZ is breathtaking. I worked on farms as a teen that deserved to belong on postcards. I'm going home in September to go fishing with my dad. He lives on the East Coast of the Nth Is, Te Kaha. He lives right on the ocean. I went to NY State this year, and I was terrified, but I loved meeting new people and seeing new images. Food for my senses ;) The differences between us were noticeable at first, but the conversations were great. I'm certain I'd notice differences state to state. I'm happy that you're having a wonderful visit to my home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss you! I love the US because we have reliable hot water everywhere. And broadband internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God, this post is GOOD. I also recently moved to NZ from the States. When I was living in the US, I couldn't wait to get out. I thought the people were horrible, the way of life to extreme. I knew I'd miss it, but I never realized how much. Now I've been gone 7 months, with no real plan of when I'll go back. And I've turned into one of those Americans who thinks everything's better in the States and I couldn't be more patriotic if I tried.

    It's not that I don't love New Zealand, I do, but being away from home has definitely made the heart grow fonder.

    Thanks for sharing! It's nice to know you're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you study in South Africa? Being a South African I couldnn't help but ask.

    I think it's the same for everyone going over to a different country. I lived in NYC for a while after finishing my articles and when I think back on the time and how different everything was then it feels as though I was on a different planet, let alone timeline.

    The best learning experiences are always leaving what you know behind and striking out for parts unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent a semester down in Wellington in 2005, then brought a book back down there to edit last May. I had a very similar experience and really appreciated the USA much more after both trips. That said, I fell in love with Wellington and dream of it (literally) at least twice a month. I'm dying to bring my loved ones down there, to show them my favorite hike up Mt. Victoria, and to share with them the beauty and energy of that amazing country.

    So cool that you are down there. Also, I adore your picture from the botanical gardens!! That is one of my favorite benches. So funny you are right there.

    Out of curiosity...did you get a chance to tramp Mount/Lake Angelus? It's a beautiful hike...though right now the hut is probably covered in snow...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful insights. Your post took me back to my travelling days [or years] not because of any specific travelling stories, but because of the personal impact travelling has on you.

    I traveled for about three years, and I remember afterwards truly feeling that I had lived six years of experience instead of just three - that I had somehow stolen time, and in the process accelerated my learning of myself and of other human beings. This is what brings a little nostalgic tear to my eye, more than the lovely happy snaps of exotic countries.
    Thanks for sharing your personal reflections, it was refreshing, and I'm sure many people can relate to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. To everyone who responded to my post: thank you so much. This is why I write a blog instead of a journal. It is so amazing to hear about all of your experiences, and that we've all had so many of the same thoughts, fears, desires even though we don't know each other.

    Marsha, yes! I saw tons of LOTR sites they are marked all over NZ, and some places even have tours. It is AWESOME.

    Marian, Simon and Jesse, thank you so much. I hope I find going home rewarding too because I do miss and appreciate home much more than I ever left. But now I have a deep love for NZ too, so it will be hard to leave.

    Butchie34, I totally agree with what you say. I studied in Cape Town and completely fell in love. I need to go back to do more traveling there though. Where are you from?

    Matthew, no I haven't been to Lake/Mt. Angelus, but NZ has made me LOVE tramping. Is that outside of Wellington? I am returning back there before I leave, so I'll put it on my to-do list!

    Melinda, yes, that is exactly how I feel. I feel like I've lived an entire lifetime in NZ and my perspective is so changed now.

    Traveling is truly the best teacher. Thank you all so much for sharing with me. It means more than you can know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is bit of truth in almost everything Ryan says.

    ReplyDelete

Followers