Monday, August 1, 2011

To Those of You Who Want To Travel

The response to one of my last posts, Distance Makes the Patriotism Grow Stronger, was overwhelmingly positive and supportive. Thank you all for reading about my journey and for sharing so much personal feedback. It made me remember how surprised I was when I told my co-workers and friends in Washington, DC that I was quitting my job and moving to New Zealand the response was mostly envious. 

People all around me sighed and confessed how much they would love to up and leave and travel the world. How did you decide to do it? How did you save the money? They all asked.

It was simple. I wanted to do something different; I was restless. And so I wandered through the travel sections at bookstores and did a bit of internet surfing. I worked hard to put away slightly more money for most months out of a year (not even every month!), and then I went. 

There is no magic to it. You only need a little money if you can get a work permit, and it is very easy for Americans to get work permits in many countries. I quit my job as many of the other travellers I’ve met did. But I’ve also met people who liked the jobs they left, so they asked their employers for a leave of absence or for a promise of employment when they returned if positions were available. You do not have to give up everything. I’ve met people who sublet their apartment or house, so they could return to it later and who are going back to a job or a school they love. 

If you want to travel, do not wait. Form a plan, talk to people and read about it, and go. You will never regret trying to do something you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers