Saturday, September 3, 2011

Backpacker Freedom

I came to New Zealand in January, and have moved around for the entire year. My final job in New Zealand is working at Mt. Ruapehu and living in the ski town, Ohakune. And it will seem like an eternity living in one place since I am staying here for three months. Moving around so much is in some ways exhausting. But it is also liberating.

While traveling in New Zealand, I could fit all of my belongings into a single, normal-sized backpack (I use the past tense here because that was before I bought all of my ski clothes for working on a mountain). I never before lived a lifestyle where I could decide to leave one night and be traveling to a new part of the country by 7am the next morning. It is the backpacker freedom. If one place gets boring, complicated, rainy, and the wanderlust creeps in, you are free to move on.

Following are only some of the places I have lived this year:

Wellington


Nelson


Franz Josef Glacier


Queenstown


Dunedin

Christchurch


Auckland


Te Puke


Ohakune


And finally, Mt. Ruapehu. Since I work10 hours a day on this mountain, I think I can now claim that I live there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers